We designed this unique headset spacer for bicycle shop mechanics and traveling cyclists alike. For the bicycle mechanic, it allows you to hold the fork in the frame without installing the stem and headset spacers. If you are performing a bicycle fit, it allows you to change stems without the need to readjust the headset bearings with every stem change. For the traveling cyclist, the locking spacer allows you to turn your handlebars for packing your bicycle without the need to readjust your headset when reassembling the bicycle. The spacer can also be used for storing bicycles in tight spaces. Simply loosen the stem bolts and turn the handlebars to the side for stowing in a car or other small spaces. You will not need to readjust your headset when it’s time to ride your bicycle again.
WARNING: CYCLING CAN BE DANGEROUS. BICYCLE PRODUCTS SHOULD BE INSTALLED AND SERVICED BY A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC. NEVER MODIFY YOUR BICYCLE OR ACCESSORIES. READ AND FOLLOW ALL PRODUCT INSTRUCTIONS AND WARNINGS INCLUDING INFORMATION ON THE MANUFACTURER’S WEBSITE. INSPECT YOUR BICYCLE BEFORE EVERY RIDE. ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.
COMPATIBILITY AND INTENDED USE
This spacer is designed to be used on bicycle forks with 1-1/8" threadless steerer tubes only. Using this product on other types or sizes of forks could result in loss of control or damage to the bicycle and/or serious injury to the rider. The spacer requires at least 8mm of space between the bottom of the stem and the top of the headset.
If your fork features a carbon steerer tube, consult the fork’s manufacturer to confirm compatibility.
WARNING: Read these instructions completely BEFORE beginning installation of this product. If you lack the knowledge or tools to perform the installation, please have your local professional bicycle mechanic perform the installation. Improper installation can result in loss of control or damage to the bicycle and/or serious injury or death to the rider. We STRONGLY recommend installation of this product be performed by a professional bicycle mechanic.
• 3mm hex wrench
• Torque wrench that measures in Nm
• Bicycle grease
• Headset and stem tools
• Carbon assembly paste (if your fork has a carbon steerer tube)
1. If installing a new fork or headset, follow manufacturers’ instructions for installation of headset and/or cutting of fork steerer. Remember to include 8mm of length for the locking spacer.
2. Remove bolt from locking spacer and lightly grease threads. Reinstall bolt (but do not tighten) into locking spacer.
3. Remove stem and remove 8mm of spacers (if applicable).
4. If your fork features a carbon steerer tube, coat the inner surface of the locking spacer with a light, even coat of carbon assembly paste.
5. Install locking spacer onto fork steerer. The spacer should spin freely around the steerer. If not, check to make sure the bolt is loose and that the steerer is free of dirt and grease. The locking spacer can be installed anywhere in the spacer stack, but if you plan on removing the stem often it is best to locate the locking spacer on the top of the stack spacers (to prevent the loss of spacers). If your fork features a carbon steerer, consult the fork manufacturer to confirm compatibility, and if they approve, locate the locking spacer directly under the stem.
6. Reinstall stem onto fork steerer. Reinstall headset preload device (starnut/top cap, compression plug, etc.) onto fork.
7. With the locking spacer loose on the steerer, follow headset manufacturer’s instructions for adjusting bearing play. The headset should spin freely in all directions without bearing play or binding.
8. Tighten stem steerer clamp bolts to the torque specified by the manufacturer.
9. Tighten the bolt on the locking spacer to 23–27 in-lbf (2.6–3Nm) of torque.
10. After your first ride, recheck the adjustment of your headset and the locking headset spacer. Recheck adjustment every 3–5 rides. If the headset requires adjustment, loosen the bolt on the locking headset spacer and return to step 6 of these instructions.
A LIMITED 2-YEAR WARRANTY
PROBLEM SOLVERS™ warrants this new PROBLEM SOLVERS product against defects in materials and workmanship for two (2) years from the original date of retail purchase by the consumer. This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of the original product, at the option of PROBLEM SOLVERS, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the PROBLEM SOLVERS product and is not transferable.
In no event shall PROBLEM SOLVERS be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental or consequential or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to this product except as set forth herein. This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from state to state.
This warranty does not cover the following:
• Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the end user
• Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
• Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with Problem Solvers product
• Damage or deterioration to the surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product • Normal wear and tear • Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly
TO THE EXTENT NOT PROHIBITED BY LAW, THESE WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND THERE ARE NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS INCLUDING WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.