Nipple Driver Assembly & Usage Instructions
The Problem Solvers™ Nipple Driver is a great tool for building custom wheels, enabling wheelbuilders to consistently set spokes to the same length, both on single wheels and specific builds of wheels. You may find it helpful to have a few Nipple Drivers on hand, each set at a different length, to tighten spokes to different lengths based on the rim depth of each wheel and subsequent adjustments. A short Nipple Driver is an excellent tool for disassembling wheels as well.
This Nipple Driver can be used two different ways, by hand like a screwdriver or inserted into a power drill. The setup below is the same for both methods of usage.
4mm hex key
Grinder or file
Spoke Size Compatibility
Use the table below to determine what size spoke you should use in the Nipple Driver based on the size of the nipple you will be using:
1. Obtain a straight-gauge spoke, either new or used.
2. Cut off the threads of the spoke with the spoke cutter just above the threads.
3. Loosen the set screw on the side of the Nipple Driver with a 4mm hex key.
4. Insert the spoke at least 65mm (2.5") into the tip of the Nipple Driver.
5. Retighten the set screw so the spoke is secure.
6. Measure approximately 5mm past the nib of the Nipple Driver and mark your desired cut location on the spoke with a permanent marker.
Note: If you have a specific measurement in mind, add approximately 1mm to the length to account for grinding and smoothing.
Note: We recommend beginning with a longer length and cutting back to a length specific to your needs after a few trials of wheelbuilding.
7. Cut the spoke at the mark and grind it flat and smooth, without burrs. The tool is ready to use.
Specific Use as a Hand Tool
If you’ll be using the Nipple Driver by hand, cutting up to 50mm off the rear of the driver is possible to enable it to nest in the palm of your hand while working.
Caution: cutting more than 50mm will make the shaft too short to use with a drill.
Note: Problem Solvers Nipple Drivers are not compatible with rims deeper than 45mm, such as certain ZIPP wheels.
Limited 2 Year Warranty:
This QBP™ product is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for two (2) years, from the original date of retail purchase by the consumer, subject to the limitations detailed below. This limited warranty is expressly limited to the repair or replacement of the original product, at the option of QBP, and is the sole remedy of the warranty. This limited warranty applies only to the original purchaser of the QBP product and is not transferable.
In no event shall QBP be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental or consequential or otherwise resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to this product except as set forth herein.
This warranty does not cover the following:
• Damage due to improper assembly or follow-up maintenance or lack of skill, competence or experience of the user
• Products that have been modified, neglected, used in competition or for commercial purposes, misused or abused, involved in accidents or anything other than normal use
• Damage or deterioration to the surface finish, aesthetics or appearance of the product
• Normal wear and tear
• Labor required to remove and/or refit and re-adjust the product within the bicycle assembly This warranty gives the consumer specific legal rights, and those rights and other rights may vary from state to state.